Your Security Is Our Priority
On September 7, Equifax—one of the three largest American credit agencies—announced a cybersecurity incident potentially impacting the personal data of millions of consumers. It's an unsettling but important reminder of the extra vigilance that is required by the companies we trust to protect our data from malicious intrusion.
I want to assure you of my strong confidence in Raymond James' security capabilities and our shared commitment to protecting client data and privacy. We believe that putting clients' needs first—and this includes investing in and maintaining the strongest possible security safeguards—is the best way to ensure our mutual success.
We want you to have the highest level of confidence in doing business with us. That's why we offer you this assurance:
We will reimburse you for actual losses in any of your Raymond James accounts due to unauthorized access to a Raymond James system that occurs through no fault of your own.1
In addition to the standard security measures you expect from a leading independent financial services company, such as systems monitoring 24 hours a day, Raymond James provides these safeguards:
- A dedicated cyberthreat center staffed by certified information security analysts.
- Penetration and vulnerability testing of our networks and servers.
- Encryption, secure virtual private networks and the latest firewall and antivirus technology.
- Email monitoring for regulatory and compliance purposes as well as protection against phishing attempts and malware.
- Strict controls, limits and monitoring of access to our facilities and systems.
- Quarterly technology reviews conducted by independent auditors.
- Redundant systems and off-site information storage providing protection in the event of emergency or natural disaster.
- Coordination with industrywide organizations and law enforcement agencies devoted to sharing information about physical and cybersecurity.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Maintaining your security is a partnership. You also play an important role in helping secure your assets and personal information--one of the most important being to review your statements promptly for any unauthorized account activity and notifying us immediately if you notice anything suspicious.
Here are a few additional preventative measures you can take:
Keep your equipment up to date. Install the latest updates and patches for your computers and mobile devices and use security software including antivirus, firewalls and encryption. And before selling or disposing of computers and mobile devices, wipe them of data.
Use public wireless networks with caution. Avoid visiting sensitive websites when away from home.
Use complex and unique passwords. These contain a combination of upper and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters. Do not share your passwords.
Be alert to risks online. Never open attachments or click on links in suspicious emails or from senders you don't recognize, and limit the personal information you share on social media websites.
Practice Sensible Data Management. Shred sensitive documents when disposing of them.
Together, we will take the necessary security precautions that will help ensure your data integrity and financial well-being. If you have any questions or concerns about how Raymond James and our practice work to protect your accounts, please do not hesitate to contact me. Additional information is also available at RaymondJames.com/Privacy_Security
Adapted from the Raymond James white paper "Keeping Your Account and Personal Information Secure: Learn How Raymond James Is Working to Protect You," 2015. Material prepared by Raymond James for use by its financial advisors.
* * * * * * * *
1. This reimbursement covers losses in your retail brokerage account arising out of unauthorized online access to a Raymond James system and does not cover losses arising out of the activities of a person to whom you have granted authority over or access to your account and the failure of such persons to safeguard your information. If you share your account information with anyone, we will consider that you authorized that person's activities. We will determine the type and amount of any reimbursement, including whether to replace the assets in your account. We may not compensate you for losses for which you are reimbursed, or eligible for reimbursement, through other coverage, such as an insurance provider. Thisreimbursement requires you to promptly tell us of any unauthorized access to your account and to comply with our requests and procedures during the review of your reimbursement. We may ask you to cooperate with us in connection with any investigation, to take steps to protect against further losses, and to sign documents in connection with any reimbursement. We reserve the right to not reimburse your losses in your retail brokerage account if you have not complied with any of the foregoing.
* * * * * * * *
Securities offered through Raymond James Financial Services, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC. Investment advisory services offered through Raymond James Financial Services Advisors, Inc. Estes Wealth Strategies is not a registered broker/dealer and is independent of Raymond James Financial Services.